[MITgcm-support] more questions

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Mon Oct 2 04:55:12 EDT 2006

Rima,

if you use netcdf (that is the mnc-package), you do not need to
convert the output files at all: they will be in netcdf format (with
ending *.nc). However, if you use a tiled domain (e.g., when you use
more than one CPU), you have to assemble the different tiles.
Currently, there are only scripts in Matlab that can do that. Also
the matlab-function rdmnc.m conveniently reads netcdf-files created
by the mnc-package.

If you don't use the mnc-package your output will be in ieee big-
endian files (*.data) with some meta information in ascii-files
(*.meta). This is the default behavior. To read them, either use the
meta information and load the *.data files into the program of your
choice, or use the matlab scripts rdmds.m (which also calls rdmeta.m)
to read them. E.g.
 >> addpath MITgcm/utils/matlab % that's where all matlab scripts are
 >> t=rdmds('T',Inf);
 >>pcolor(t(:,:,1)')
or
 >>s=rdmnc('state.*.nc','Temp',Inf);
 >>pcolor(s.Temp(:,:,1)')
Both plot the potential temperature of the last output.

Be aware that rdmnc/rdmds do not work properly with Matlab6 (for that
you need to use older versions of rdmnc/rdmds, but don't ask me which).

Martin