[MITgcm-support] problem with boundary condition on the bottom

camili at noos.fr camili at noos.fr
Mon Nov 27 07:54:31 EST 2006

Hello,

I have a problem to understand how the 'no slip bottom'
boundary condition is supposed to be respected.
I have runed  the exp0 presented in your tutorial. When I
specify the boundary condition on the bottom, it seems to be
no difference when I specify a free slip or a no slip
condition. The velocities are the almost the same in the two
cases.
I also runed a simulation quite similar with the exp0, but I
put 5 layer instead of 1.
Here is the data file I used:
# Model parameters
# Continuous equation parameters
 &PARM01
 tRef=20.,20.,20.,20.,20.,
 sRef=10.,10.,10.,10.,10.,
 viscAz=1.E-2,
 viscAh=4.E2,
 diffKhT=4.E2,
 diffKzT=1.E-2,
 no_slip_sides=.FALSE.,
 no_slip_bottom=.FALSE.,
 beta=1.E-11,
 tAlpha=2.E-4,
 sBeta =0.,
 gravity=9.81,
 gBaro=9.81,
 rigidLid=.FALSE.,
 implicitFreeSurface=.TRUE.,
 eosType='LINEAR',
 readBinaryPrec=64,
 &
# Elliptic solver parameters
 &PARM02
 cg2dMaxIters=1000,
 cg2dTargetResidual=1.E-7,
 &
 # Time stepping parameters
 &PARM03
 startTime=0,
 endTime=15552000.0,
 deltaTmom=500.0,
 deltaTtracer=500.0,
 abEps=0.1,
 pChkptFreq=604800.0,
 chkptFreq=604800.0,
 dumpFreq=604800.0,
 monitorFreq=604800.,
 &
# Gridding parameters
 &PARM04
 usingCartesianGrid=.FALSE.,
 usingSphericalPolarGrid=.TRUE.,
 delX=100*0.2,
 delY=100*0.2,
 delZ=1000.,1000.,1000.,1000.,1000.,
 phiMin=35.,
 &
 &PARM05
 bathyFile='topog.box',
 hydrogThetaFile=,
 hydrogSaltFile=,
 zonalWindFile='windx.sin_y',
 meridWindFile=,

And once again the velocities are not null on the bottom. And
when I run the same simulation with a free slip condition on
the bottom, the differences between the velocities of the 2
experiments are really weak.

So could you help me to understand how the boundary condition
on the bottom is supposed to influence the velocity field,
specialy in the under layer?

Thanks a lot,
Camille