[MITgcm-support] dynamical grid

Dmitry_T tokarev at techunix.technion.ac.il
Thu Nov 23 15:15:25 EST 2006

Dear Sir,

My name is Dmitry Tokarev, I am a PhD student at the Faculty of Civil and Environmental Engineering, at the Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, under the supervision of Prof. Hillel Rubin and Dr. Avi Ostfeld.

My thesis is on the hydrodynamics and water quality behavior of a small reservoir in Israel (about 10 million cubic meters and a maximum depth of about eight meters) which is operated for water supply and fluctuates on a weekly basis (i.e. during a week the reservoir water levels span its entire depth). I have considered several hydrodynamic and water quality models (e.g. ROMS) and finally converged to MITgcm.

I am in the early stages of using MITgcm for modeling the hydrodynamics of the reservoir and would like to consult with you if MITgcm has the option of using a dynamic grid (i.e. I would like to incorporate both the inflow and outflow from the reservoir which with the evaporation and possible infiltration induces the changes in the reservoir water levels).

Any comment or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely yours,
Dmitri Tokarev