[MITgcm-support] Re: viscosity questions

Martin.Losch at awi.de Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Nov 17 05:03:20 EST 2006

Jean-Michel, Dimitris,

thanks again for your comments. I don't think that KPP is the problem as I get noise also without it. With advScheme 33, I
tried different diffusivities (smaller than those used with advScheme 2) and also no explicit diffusivity, but none seemed to
work properly.

I have tried to use a combination of 33 and 2 as Jean-Michel suggests, but I had to turn off multidimadvection (=.false.) for
that, so that the solution looks very different, but the noise is not gone.

For now, I have 3 series of plots to look at, if anyone is interested. For these plots I have reduced the domain (gulf of elat
at the northern end of the red sea) to get faster results. I started from rest and ran the model for 30 days and forcing with
homogeneous wind stress (wind from the south). "data" is attached, no other packages used (except for diagnostics).
horizontal resolution is 900m. advection 33 with no explicit diffusivity.
Shown are temperatures at layers 1,5,10 with velocity vectors, nothing is scaled for plotting. On the left is a run with
viscC2Smag=1 and on the right with viscC4Smag=1. In particular, level 5 has a lot of noise that persists for 30 days. The
noise in level 10 appears to fade away towards the end of the intergration period. I do not show W, because that's noisy
all the way, nothing to learn. horizontal velocities are more or less smooth (they are affected by the noise in the density
field, of course, but the viscosity seems to damp this away along the boundaries, where viscAh/4 is high, not so much in
the interior where viscAh/4 is low. The plots of Ah/4 are not smooth).

here are the plots (approx 2MB each):
http://mitgcm.org/~mlosch/eilat_temp1.ps.gz
http://mitgcm.org/~mlosch/eilat_temp5.ps.gz
http://mitgcm.org/~mlosch/eilat_temp10.ps.gz

In the full domain the noise is even more pronounced.

M.

Martin Losch
Alfred Wegener Institute
Postfach 120161, 27515 Bremerhaven, Germany;
Tel./Fax: ++49(0471)4831-1872/1797