[MITgcm-support] Re: viscosity questions

Martin.Losch at awi.de Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Nov 16 13:59:15 EST 2006

Hi Baylor, Dimitris
thanks for the suggestions. I expect to well below the deformation radius so I will use Smagorinski from now on.
I am using KPP, so that's a good suggestion to try and turn it of
I see noise in T/S and density, not in U/V (so I though I was good with the viscosities).
The noise tends to start near the boundaries/topography, but I have tried JamartWetPoints=.true./.false., without much
success.

I actually started from Dimitris' suggestion:
http://mitgcm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/MITgcm_contrib/high_res_cube/input/data_hr
and slowly changed many of the things I found had no impact:
nonlinear free surface back to linear
useareavisclength (I have absolutely square boxes dx=dy)
advection scheme back to 2
multidimadvection is automatically true for 33
vectorinvariantmomentum (does that make a big difference? I couldn't find a positive impact on the noise)
hfacmin=.3 (I tried that, but didn't help)

Martin

Martin Losch
Alfred Wegener Institute
Postfach 120161, 27515 Bremerhaven, Germany;
Tel./Fax: ++49(0471)4831-1872/1797