[MITgcm-support] Re: viscosity questions

Baylor Fox-Kemper baylor at MIT.EDU
Thu Nov 16 13:08:52 EST 2006

Hi Martin,
    At 900m or 300m, you probably should be using Smagorinsky, not
Leith.  Leith is really only appropriate for the gridscales in the
range where one expects the E(k) \propto k^-3 inverse cascade (i.e.,
above the deformation radius).  Unless your gulf is quite
unstratified, you should be well below the deformation radius, where
you will expect a E(k) \propto k^-5/3 scale, and Smagorinsky is the
appropriate scaling for that.
    You could try either c2smag or c4smag or both.
    As far as diffusivities are concerned, are you seeing noise in
T&S but not in U&V?  What about in density?  Also, are you seeing
noise near topography (I note you have jamartwetpoints off)?
    Also, I see you have cadjfreq off, so are you using KPP?  If you
are, it will certainly generate gridscale noise during convective
events.  You can reduce this by using the "smooth" settings in
KPP_OPTIONS.h.
    I hope that helps.
       -Baylor