[MITgcm-support] obcs adjoint issue (I need dynamics.F help)

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at MIT.EDU
Wed Nov 8 20:41:27 EST 2006

Hello,

I have been using the open boundary controls.  The sensitivities for
the velocity normal to the boundary appear unphysical.  (I am using a
northern boundary so for my case V is the normal vel.)  I have
tracked down what is causing this.  It is that on the open boundary
the adjoint variable of gV has an odd structure.  And because
dynamics.F calls OBCS_APPLY_UV twice, this odd structure gets added
to the sensitivities twice.  Calling  OBCS_APPLY_UV( bi, bj, k, gU,
gV, myThid ) is rather benign in the forward integration, U and V on
the open boundary get written over anyway.  In the adjoint
integration, however, every call matters.  Could someone more expert
in the dynamics.F routine please check if all these calls are
necessary.  And I'd really appreciate it if they could also fill me
in as to why they are there.

Thanks,
Matt

ps> I'm using vectorInvariantMomentum and implicitViscosity