[MITgcm-support] how to build the mitgcm code on cygwin?

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sat May 20 10:49:46 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-20 at 14:56 +0800, brainf wrote:
> I can build the code on debain
> When I compile the code on cygwin ,it has some error following:
>
> ********************* error start***************************
> $ make
> gcc  -D_BYTESWAPIO -DWORDLENGTH=4 -DHAVE_SYSTEM -DHAVE_FDATE -DHAVE_ETIME -DHAVE
> _CLOC -DHAVE_SETRLSTK -DHAVE_STAT  -I.  -c sigreg.c
> sigreg.c:26:22: ucontext.h: No such file or directory
> sigreg.c:31: warning: "struct ucontext" declared inside parameter list
> sigreg.c:31: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is
>  probably not what you want
> make: *** [sigreg.o] Error 1
>
> ******************** error     end  ************************
>
> How to install it on cygwin?

Hi "brainf",

Your cygwin install doesn't include a full development environment.  It
lacks the headers that declare data structures for signal registration.
Those headers are probably available (or installable) within cygwin
since they are needed by a vast number of packages (not least of which
is bash).

So, some things that can be done are:

 1) figure out how to install those headers (probably a quick
    "apt-get ..." command but I don't know which package
    provides them),

 2) by hand, remove all instances of "sigreg.c" from the Makefile
    following the "make depend" step, or

 3) quit using the half-baked cygwin environment and run MITgcm
    on an actual Linux or Unix machine.

I recommend option #3.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
emails:  eh3 at mit.edu                ed at eh3.com
phone:   617-253-0098
fax:     617-253-4464