[MITgcm-support] some very basic questions

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed May 10 23:24:19 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 16:38 -1000, Gerard C Nihous wrote:

> Thanks a lot for the tip on running a UNIX-like environment
> on a Windows machine. I downloaded the Cygwin software and
> proceeded with the MITgcm code download. As instructed, I typed
>
> $ export CVSROOT=':pserver:cvsanon at mitgcm.org:/u/gcmpack'
> $ cvs login
>
> The second command seems to have been unrecognized, however;
> I got the diagnostic
> bash: cvs: command not found
> Sorry to bother you with what must be trivial stuff.

Hi Gerard,

You'll need to install cvs.  See the cygwin site for details.

Alternatively, you could install (perhaps in a dual-boot configuration
or within VMWare) a Linux distribution.  Some of the MITgcm developers
use Fedora Core:

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraMain
  http://fedora.redhat.com/

and it comes with many convenient packages including ones for gfortran,
g77, cvs, netcdf, nco, ncview, etc.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
emails:  eh3 at mit.edu                ed at eh3.com
phone:   617-253-0098
fax:     617-253-4464