[MITgcm-support] some very basic questions

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed May 10 18:38:01 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 10:14 -1000, Gerard C Nihous wrote:
> In the meantime, I was wondering if the 4 degree oceanic circulation
> you have as an example on the mitgcm web site could be run on a
> single 1.7 GHz PC (Windows XP operating system) by someone (me)
> without experience. I do write code routinely, but the ancient way
> (DOS line editing, FORTRAN) and without extensive file manipulations
> - that's the extent of my programming knowledge.

Hi Gerard,

MITgcm is like many "open source" projects.  You're welcome to download
the code and configure, build, and run it.  MITgcm works on a broad
range of machines--from laptops and desktops to top-10 supercomputers.
It runs most easily on Linux and Unix-like environments and can be run
on Mac OSX and on Windows with the Cygwin environment:

  http://www.cygwin.com

Here are some links to download instructions and a beta (not quite ready
for formal release but still very useful) version of our new manual:

  http://mitgcm.org/source_code.html
  http://mitgcm.org/r2_web_testing/latest/

Hope that helps,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
emails:  eh3 at mit.edu                ed at eh3.com
phone:   617-253-0098
fax:     617-253-4464