[MITgcm-support] noise in high resolution run

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 30 15:11:16 EST 2006

Hi Martin,

I don't think my noise had a specific orientation.  I can look to see
if I still have an old field laying around and get back to you.  My
noise showed up near antarctica and was patchy.  It definitely was
not related to the open boundary; I feel it was related to flow near
the Antarctic topography.  As you know, the noise was eliminated by
turning up the viscosity in the bottom 2 cells.  Yet my noise in U
did look similar to what you have.  I will try to find an old field.

-Matt

On Mar 30, 2006, at 2:51 PM, Martin Losch wrote:

> Hi Matt, thanks for your comments. I did try your bottom enhanced
> viscosity, but that did not change a thing. Can you remember, if
> "your" noise was similarily oriented as "mine" in
> http://mitgcm.org/~mlosch/noise.png
> ?
> On Mar 30, 2006, at 8:39 PM, Matthew Mazloff wrote:
>
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> As you know I've experienced noise near topography as well.
>> JamartWetPoints alone and used with useJamartMomAdv caused my
>> model to blow up so I didn't experiment to thoroughly with it.
>> SadournyCoriolis did not reduce the noise, though like
>> JamartWetPoints I only tried it with one run.
>>
>> -good luck,
>> Matt
>>

>> On Mar 30, 2006, at 1:23 PM, Martin Losch wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Baylor, Dimitris,
>>>
>>> useJamartWetPoints is a good suggestion. I will try that next.
>>> Since the noise seems to be associated with the coasts it sounds
>>> like a good guess. What about the other flags,
>>> useJamartMomAdv
>>> SadournyCoriolis