[MITgcm-support] noise in high resolution run

Dimitris Menemenlis menemenlis at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 30 13:36:50 EST 2006

> My experience with KPP is that it tends to amplify noise, but does not generate it (?).

Yes, that's right.  Without horizontal filters, KPP is 1D so it cannot generate
horizontal noise but it will amplify it.  What happens is that (i) smaller
vertical stratification leads to (ii) higher vertical mixing coefficient
which leads to (iii) yet smaller vertical stratification and vice versa.

... but obviously this is not your problem here.

It is strange because I have not seen this noise in our 1/8 or 1/16-degree
global integrations.  If it's any help, the configuration that we used is
documented in MITgcm_contrib/quarter_degree_global

Dimitris