[MITgcm-support] noise in high resolution run

Baylor Fox-Kemper baylor at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 30 13:35:01 EST 2006

Hi Martin,

> useJamartWetPoints is a good suggestion. I will try that next.
> Since the noise seems to be associated with the coasts it sounds
> like a good guess. What about the other flags,

> useJamartMomAdv

I was told that this one doesn't really make sense in terms of
conservation near boundaries, I believe.  I'm no expert in it, though.

> SadournyCoriolis

JMC just told me that this is actually NOT the scheme that Sadourny
suggests to use, it is really one of the ones that he suggests NOT to
use in the same paper!  So, I think that for the moment this is
probably not a good bet either.

> I use
> no_slip_sides=.false.,
> the sidedrag code is a drag to debug. Each time I have a look at
> it, it looks wrong the first time around and then after 3hs of mind
> warp it turns out to be right. When I have a look at the plots I
> find it hard to believe that there is not a bug in the whatever-
> part of the code (doesn't even have to be the viscosity). I guess I
> have to start turning off terms and see what happens.
sidedrag can't be the problem then...

What I fear is what Michael suggests:
> we had some problems like this with the NCOM (hydrostatic) at one
> time and tried all sorts of things.
> it turned out to be an indexing problem in the code.
The question is, where?
   -Baylor