[MITgcm-support] MPI run: unable to open a GM port

Constantinos Evangelinos ce107 at ocean.mit.edu
Wed Mar 22 10:23:30 EST 2006

On Wednesday 22 March 2006 09:31 am, Sergey Vinogradov wrote:

> I try to compile/run MITgcm for 4 processors on linux ia32 cluster with
> mpif77/mpicc.
> A compilation doesn't give me any problems, but execution fails with a
> following error:
>
> Error: Unable to open a GM port ! (4 times)
>
> First I thought it is a queueing problem, but I get the same result even
> if I start it interactively.
> Did anyone experience anything similar to that? I'd appreciate any
> help/hints/hypotheses.

This error would tend to indicate that while you have compiled the code using
MPICH-GM or some other GM-based MPI implementation but at runtime you are not
properly initializing the GM subsystem. We should work on this together when
you come over if you have not figures out what might be wrong before hand.
Are you using the proper mpirun? Older versions required setting up a dotfile
with port numbers etc. Newer versions don't.

Constantinos
--
Dr. Constantinos Evangelinos
Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences