[MITgcm-support] MPI run: unable to open a GM port

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Mar 22 10:23:23 EST 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 09:31 -0500, Sergey Vinogradov wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I try to compile/run MITgcm for 4 processors on linux ia32 cluster with
> mpif77/mpicc.
> A compilation doesn't give me any problems, but execution fails with a
> following error:
>
> Error: Unable to open a GM port ! (4 times)
>
> First I thought it is a queueing problem, but I get the same result even
> if I start it interactively.
> Did anyone experience anything similar to that? I'd appreciate any
> help/hints/hypotheses.

Hi Sergey,

The GM device is a driver for Myrinet, a rather common high-speed and
low-latency connection technology.  So, it looks like you have Myrinet
problems and these things are by their nature very specific to your
cluster.  So please talk to your cluster admins and ask them to help you
sort it out.

Ed

ps - There are plenty of MPI versions of "Hello world" that
     you can use to debug these sorts of things.  And there are
     programs that can test the MPI connection speed and latency.
     It may be a good idea to check with simple MPI tests before
     trying to run MITgcm.

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307