[MITgcm-support] linear instability

mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Thu Mar 9 14:15:23 EST 2006

Hi Zoe,
as far as I know, this (Dirichlet) type of boundary condition for
temperature is not availble for the top nor the bottom because it
is not normally used in ocean modeling (it is for open lateral
boundaries). However, you could hack restoring boundary
conditions in model/src/external_forcing.F for the bottom (for the
top they are already coded), so that the temperature is nearly
your desired values. The alternative is to find all the places in the
code where the open boundary conditions are applied (call
obcs_apply_ts and call obcs_apply_t) and apply the Dirichlet
BCs at the surface and the bottom there.

Martin

Martin Losch
Alfred Wegener Institute
Postfach 120161, 27515 Bremerhaven, Germany;
Tel./Fax: ++49(0471)4831-1872/1797