[MITgcm-support] Open boudary conditions in MITgcm

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Fri Mar 3 03:28:22 EST 2006

Hi Vigdis,

I do realize that the open boundary package is probably not the most
mature part of the code, so that I am not surprised that there seem
to be so many problems with it (browse the support archives and you
will find a lot of questions about obcs).

I use obcs with a simple box with four open boundaries and a linear
free surface (and no topography). I prescribe U,V,T,S along the
boundaries and yes, Eta=SSH is zero along the boundaries.
Nevertheless, the velocity field imposes a jet entering the domain
and I have no problems representing that jet in the SSH (as if the
Eta-values on the boundary do not matter). I suspect that there are
other thing that go wrong in your case.

Prescribe the velocity field and make sure that it is balanced:
integral of divU=0. (where U is the vertically integrated transport)
Make sure that you do not have any topography gradients across the
boundary. I am not quite sure whether this means that the
topographies along the south and the north have to be the same (see
Gianmaria's emails yesterday and the day before yesterday). It may be
possible that for obcs we will have to extend the topography beyond
the computational domain. You can try that by increasing your
computational domain by the width of the overlap region (Oly, it can
also be any number larger than Oly, just to make shure that you don't
run into trouble with the overlaps) and specifying the topography in
this new part of the domain, so that:
j=1 is the first point on your grid
j=1+Oly is the open boundary point
and depth(j=1 to 1+Oly) = const.
and the same for j=Ny, j=Ny-Oly, so that your actual domain ranges
from 1+Oly to Ny-Oly.
If that works, we may have to change the code to account for that
problem.

Hope that helps,

Martin