[MITgcm-support] Open boudary conditions in MITgcm

Vigdis Tverberg vigdis.tverberg at npolar.no
Wed Mar 1 06:00:26 EST 2006

I am trying to run the MITgcm for a domain with a barotropic slope current
entering in the south and exiting in the north. But no matter what open
boundary condition I use, the routine solve_for_pressure.F sets the open
boundary value for surface pressure equal to zero. I interpret that the
variable  cg2d_x is the surface pressure (or surface elevation). A barotropic
current have to maintained by a sloping surface elevation ,though, so the
model run crashes quite fast.

Do you have a suggestion to how to solve this, or guide me to someone who is
working with similar problems?

Best regards,
Vigdis Tverberg
Norwegian Polar Institute