[MITgcm-support] teething.. genmake2 with gfortran

jschwarz at awi-bremerhaven.de jschwarz at awi-bremerhaven.de
Thu Jun 29 02:03:43 EDT 2006

Hi all,

thanks for the first tip regarding cvs with an IP address - cvs still won't work on this network, but thanks anyway.

I now have a problem running genmake2: I get the feeling it's really trivial but can't find the problem..
to avoid confusion, here is the exact command issued and resulting message:

tasman:/media/FHD-2PRO/MITgcm/tools/build_options # ../../tools/genmake2 -mods=../code -of ../../tools/build_options/linux_ia32_gfortran

GENMAKE :

A program for GENerating MAKEfiles for the MITgcm project.  For a
quick list of options, use "genmake -h" or for more detail see:

  http://mitgcm.org/devel_HOWTO/

===  Processing options files and arguments  ===
  getting local config information:  none found
Warning:  ROOTDIR was not specified but there appears to be a copy of MITgcm at "../.." so we'll try it.
  getting OPTFILE information:
    using OPTFILE="../../tools/build_options/linux_ia32_gfortran"
  getting AD_OPTFILE information:
    using AD_OPTFILE="../../tools/adjoint_options/adjoint_default"
ln: creating symbolic link `genmake_tlink' to `genmake_test_ln': Operation not permitted

Error: The command "ln -s" failed -- please specify a working soft-link
  command in the optfile.

this was using the optfile for gfortran.  In case the optfile was a problem, i also tried without the optfile to see if genmake could find it's own way around, and got:

tasman:/media/FHD-2PRO/MITgcm/verification/exp2 # ../../tools/genmake2 -mods=../code -of

GENMAKE :

A program for GENerating MAKEfiles for the MITgcm project.  For a
quick list of options, use "genmake -h" or for more detail see:

  http://mitgcm.org/devel_HOWTO/

===  Processing options files and arguments  ===
  getting local config information:  none found
Warning:  ROOTDIR was not specified but there appears to be a copy of MITgcm at "../.." so we'll try it.
  getting OPTFILE information:
Warning: no OPTFILE specified so we'll look for possible settings

===  Searching for possible settings for OPTFILE  ===
  The platform appears to be:  linux_ia32
ln: creating symbolic link `link' to `./test': Operation not permitted
Error: "ln -s" does not appear to work on this system!
  For help, please contact <MITgcm-support at mitgcm.org>.

ln should work, since 'which ln' and 'ln --help' give information.  There shouldn't be a problem
with permissions as i'm currently running as root (i know it's bad - long story):  ./test does exist in the
/verification/exp2 directory and it's write permissions are rwxr-xr-x.
None of the mitgcm files have been changed except for renaming the results files for exp2.

Hopefully some kind soul will recognise this as a simple thing to remedy!
As an aside, where should ROOTFILE be specified?

In hope,
jill.
Dr Jill N Schwarz
Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar & Marine Research
Postfach 12 0161
27515 Bremerhaven
Germany
tel:  +49 471 4831 1714
fax: +49 471 4831 1797
jschwarz at awi-bremerhaven.de
-------> Visiting National Institute for Water & Atmospheric Research, Wellington, NZ, from
19th June to 30th September, 2006:  tel +64 3 386 0914