[MITgcm-support] KPP and MLDs questions

Galen McKinley galen at aos.wisc.edu
Tue Jun 27 11:41:39 EDT 2006

Dear all -

Stephanie, Dave, Val and I are trying to get our mixed layer depths correct
in our new 0.5x0.5 North Atlantic setup. Right now they seem too deep in
comparison to WOA01 data.

At the same time, we are trying to understand how the KPP HBL and the MLD
relate to each other. It seems that the KPP HBL has the potential for a lot
more variation with time over a month, but the MLD is going to be a more
integrated measure of vertical homogenization. This suggests the KPP HBL
monthly mean should be shallower than the MLD, which is indeed what we find.
Do you agree with this interpretation?

Since we are interested in the biogeochemistry (for example, from how deep
were nutrients mixed up to the surface) I wonder if a diagnostic of maximum
KPP HBL over a month might be a better estimate of the depth of actual
mixing. Does this sound sensible?

Finally, any suggestions on where to start tuning KPP to make the MLDs a bit
shallower?

Thanks for your help,
Galen

Galen A. McKinley, Assistant Professor
Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences                         608 262 4817
University of Wisconsin - Madison        www.aos.wisc.edu/~galen/