[MITgcm-support] Ricr and MLDs

David Ullman ullman at wisc.edu
Mon Jul 31 12:42:25 EDT 2006

Hello all,
I'm working with Galen McKinley and Stephanie Dutkiewicz to fine tune
our 0.5X0.5 North Atlantic setup.  Initially we were getting mixed-
layer depths that were too deep in comparison to the WOA01 data.  It
was suggested that we reduce our Richardson number cutoff (Ricr) in
the KPP scheme to shallow the MLDs.

 From the MITgcm website and my own searches through the code, it
seem as though the only place to make this change is under the
kpp_readparms.F script.  I reduced the Ricr to .27 and .24 (by
altering the file under my /na_test/code folder so as not to change
the original code), recompiling after each reduction to get two
executables with reduced Ricr.

I then used a pickup file from a 66-year spin-up that used the
original Ricr of .30.  I ran the new Ricr runs for 5 years each from
this pickup.  At the end of these runs, I compared the MLDs.  I found
that there was no difference in MLDs between Ricr=.3, .27, or .24.
This seems a bit strange.

Am I missing something in my setup?  Is there perhaps some other
place in the code where I should adjust the Ricr?

Thanks for your help,

David Ullman

Graduate Student
Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences