[MITgcm-support] abundance of water vapor in Fizhi package

Andrea Molod molod at ocean.mit.edu
Tue Jul 25 17:21:37 EDT 2006

hi yuan,

there is a 'verification experiment' which uses fizhi in an
atmospheric model with no topography or land. that may be a good
place for you to start.

the values of the tracers that are sent to the shortwave and longwave
radiation codes are set in routine fizhi_init_chem (for the ones that are
constant in time) and in update_chemistry_exports (for the ones
that vary in time, like ozone and stratospheric water vapor).

just a reminder, though - if you change these values you are changing
them for the longwave and shortwave radiation routines. an alternative
for you to change the values for the shortwave alone would be to get
into the shortwave calling routine (in fizhi_swrad.F)
and change the values just before the call to subroutine sorad.

one other point here -- by 'zeroing out' the values of the gases on the
way into the shortwave you also remove the scattering, not only the
absorbtion. if you really want to remove the absorbtion only, you will
have to put your hands inside routine solir and soluv.

the water vapor is computed as a model prognostic field, but again
you can zero it out on the way into the shortwave code or on the
way into routines solir and soluv.

good luck!

Andrea M. Molod, PhD.
Department of Earth, Atmospheric & Planetary Sciences
MIT
Tel: (617) 253-5458, Email: amolod at mit.edu
WWW:http://paoc.mit.edu/paoc/people/person.asp?position=Postdoc&who=molod