[MITgcm-support] gcc error

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Mon Jul 17 08:40:50 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 10:51 +0000, Amitabh Mitra wrote:

> I was trying to run the sea ice experiment s12t_16x32
> on SGI Origin.
> But there is some problem in creating the Makefile.
> As per previous instructions of Mr. Ed Hill I downloaded
> the genmake file posted by him on May 11 2006 and made
> appropriate changes in the optfile which is attached
> with this mail. But the server gets hanged when I run
> the command shown below. SGI_2100 28% is the system prompt.
> Also I am sending the genmake_warnings.

Hi Amitabh,

I looked through the output in genmake_warnings and it seems that your
compiler is hanging while trying to run the netCDF can-we-compile-this
test example.  You can turn off the netCDF test by setting the
environment variable:

  export SKIP_NETCDF_CHECK=t

before running genmake2.  That will probably help.

Also, you might not want to compile MITgcm using an F90 compiler as you
seem to be doing (using "f90").  Do you have an f77 compiler available?
Or, does your f90 compiler have any sort of "strict f77 compatibility
mode" flags?  The reason I ask is that it seems very odd that your f90
compiler fails to compile the code and fails to return a more helpful
error message -- it doesn't return at all as you seem to describe.

It would be much easier to debug your problem(s) if I had an account on
your machine.  MITgcm does (or did as of about a year ago) run on SGI
Origin systems since I ran it on a few Origins before they were recently
decommissioned at a major US government lab.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
emails:  eh3 at mit.edu                ed at eh3.com
phone:   617-253-0098
fax:     617-253-4464