[MITgcm-support] mnc output

mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Wed Jan 25 15:17:45 EST 2006

Hi Yossi and Ed,

withouth having looked at your example, I would guess that at
20kys you run into precision problems. The model time "myTime"
is counted in seconds. 20kys are approximately 6e11 seconds.

if the following expression is true:
DIFFERENT_MULTIPLE(dumpFreq,myTime,deltaTClock)
the model writes output.

This is the comment in eesupp/src/different_multiple.F
C     !DESCRIPTION:
*====================================================
======*
C     | LOGICAL FUNCTION DIFFERENT\_MULTIPLE
C     | o Checks if a multiple of freq exist
C     |   around val1 +/- step/2
*====================================================
======*
C     | This routine is used for diagnostic and other periodic
C     | operations. It is very sensitive to arithmetic precision.
C     | For IEEE conforming arithmetic it works well but for
C     | cases where short cut arithmetic  is used it may not work
C     | as expected. To overcome this issue compile this routine
C     | separately with no optimisation.
*====================================================
======*

So maybe, if you try compiling this routine without optimisation, it
will work for another 20000kys. (when you'll will approach
machine precision)

However, if this is really the problem and if long integrations like
that become the rule (and not the exception), we might have to
consider an option for setting the time units explicitly, e.g, in hours
wouldl give another 3 orders of magnitude, etc.

Martin

Martin Losch
Alfred Wegener Institute
Postfach 120161, 27515 Bremerhaven, Germany;
Tel./Fax: ++49(0471)4831-1872/1797