[MITgcm-support] mitgcm on dual-core Opteron systems

Jason Goodman jgoodman at whoi.edu
Thu Jan 5 12:12:28 EST 2006

Hi, MITGCM gang!

Has anyone got benchmarking info comparing 2-chip, dual-core-per-chip
Opteron systems (like dual Opteron 275s) against older dual 248-252
systems for MITGCM?

I expect they won't be anywhere near twice as fast, since memory
access will be a major bottleneck.  But adding 275s might be cheaper
than adding nodes, as far as bang-per-buck goes.  A lot depends on
MITGCM's support for multithreading -- I assume I'm going to have to
do something clever in SIZE.h to get it to work well (2 tiles per
process?)