[MITgcm-support] Compiling problem

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Feb 15 23:17:40 EST 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 22:37 -0500, Matthew Mazloff wrote:
> Hi Uli,
>
> Just like the error says, it cannot find your mpif.h file.  You need
> to locate this file.  Once located you can copy it to your build
> directory, or better yet, set a path to it (this is safer in case it
> gets modified in the future).  It is likely that in your opt file you
> have already set some paths and thats why you get:
> > not in /opt/ifort/8.0.044/include/mpif.h
> so you just need to find where this file is hiding.  If you tell the
> list what machine you're working on I bet someone could help you.

Hi Uli & Matt,

On many systems, the "make depend" step can fail to locate the mpif.h
header file (or other header files such as netcdf.inc) yet the mitgcmuv
binary will nonetheless build just fine.  Its a subtle point but the
dependency checker called by "make depend" doesn't always use exactly
the same header search paths as the C-preprocessor.  And what _does_
matter is whether your C-preprocessor locates all the necessary files.

To ensure that cpp (or whatever your C-preprocessor is called) can find
everything it needs, you can set additional header search paths in your
optfile with syntax such as:

  #####  beware of line wrap !!!
  INCLUDES='-I/usr/local/pkg/ifc/ifc-8.1.018/include
   -I/usr/local/pkg/mpich/mpich-intel/include/'

which was taken directly from the optfile:

  MITgcm/tools/build_options/linux_ia32_ifc+mpi_itrda

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307