[MITgcm-support] compile-run error due to gcc update?

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Feb 9 10:43:19 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 10:22 -0500, Sergey Vinogradov wrote:
> Ed:
> The reason of my problem is that, on updated OS, all links in ../build
> dir point to distribution files instead of user-modified files. So,
> the compiler/maker doesn't see my SIZE.h and other files and provokes
> compile-run error. If I link manually to my ../code header and source
> files, it works. On all other machines, genmake2 works ok.
> Have a good day!
> Sergey

Hi Sergey,

I'm confused.  I don't understand whats going wrong for you.  If you are
supplying genmake2 with a "-mods=../code" argument, then it should
create a Makefile that, when you run "make depend", will create the
necessary links to the SIZE.h and other files.  If not, then its a bug
and I'd like to track it down and fix it.

Can you please try running this sequence of commands on a fresh
checkout:

  mkdir a_new_dir
  cd a_new_dir
  export CVSROOT=':pserver:cvsanon at mitgcm.org:/u/gcmpack'
  cvs login
   ==> cvsanon
  cvs co MITgcm
  cd MITgcm/verification/exp0/build
  ../../../tools/genmake2 -mods=../code
  make depend
  make

and then tell me *exactly* what fails and when--along with the error
messages you see?  I think you might be omitting the "-mods=../code"
argument and, if thats the case, its not a genmake2 bug -- you just need
to have the correct entry for "-mods=...".

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307