[MITgcm-support] simple question on internal wave simulation

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 3 11:43:17 EST 2006

Hi Lee

The "MON_SOLUTION: STOPPED DUE TO EXTREME VALUES OF SOLUTION" error
just means your model is unstable...probably because of an
inappropriate CFL number; you can look at the monitor output to see
what your CFL number is.  CFL = U*dt/dx and must be < 1 (usually keep
less than .5)

also note   dt < dx^2/viscah  and you have  dt = 60.0   and dx^2/
viscah = 7e-5  so that is one reason your model is blowing up...your
dt is way too large or make viscah much bigger

good luck
matt

ps> I dont know about thread issue but i would try to get  a stable
solution before i worried about it