[MITgcm-support] non-hydrostatic mode

nkimura at cae.wisc.edu nkimura at cae.wisc.edu
Thu Feb 2 20:01:36 EST 2006

    Dear MITgcm users
    Hello.
    I have a fundamental question about non-hydrostatic mode in the ocean code.
    According to the manual (page 209), in order to set non-hydrostatic mode,
“nonHydrostatic=.TRUE.” in input/data and “#define ALLOW_NONHYDROSTATIC” in
code/CPP_OPTIONS.h should be done. I simply followed it, and tested wave
propagation.
    However, my result is not similar to the analytical solution and looks like
the result of quasi-hydrostatic mode (Causlli 1999), so I am wondering if or
not my setups of non-hydrostatic mode are correct.
    I would appreciate any suggestion.

    Nobuaki Kimura, Graduate student,
    CEE, UW-Madison

In my computational conditions of the oscillating basin (Causlli 1999,
International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluid 30: 425-440)
- square basin with 10[m] in x and 10[m] in z
- initial free-surface of constant slope = 0.02 x – 0.1 [m]
- no viscosity, no forcing without initial free-surface, homogenous density
- no Coriolis force
 (Note)  My data, CPP_OPTIONS.h are attached.