[MITgcm-support] Where can download monthly net heat flux data directly?

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Dec 22 04:43:52 EST 2006

Brainf,

you'll have to create your own qnet (unless you want to use the
fluxes from say the tutorial_global_oce_latlon experiment, but these
are on a 4deg grid). I use ncep data, as you suggested, which I
downloaded from the ingrid data server at Columbia University
( http://ingrid.ldeo.columbia.edu/ ). However, I cannot tell you the
exact path, because I never find these data myself, ask their
support. And your formula is right too, but you have to make sure
that the sign convection is correct. MITgcm use + for upward flux
(out of the ocean!). I use the second formula for the data that I
downloaded.

Martin