[MITgcm-support] SOLUTION IS HEADING OUT OF BOUNDS: tMin, tMax= ?

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Mon Aug 21 03:48:52 EDT 2006

Brainf,

this question has been posted (with answers!) many times (do a search
on the support mailing list and you'll see). The answer again: in the
monitor package there is check to make sure that the model's
temperature is within reasonable limits (tMin,tMax are the minimal
and maximal occurring temperatures), if not, the model stops with
your error message (SOLUTION IS HEADING OUT OF BOUNDS, which is
actually quite clear, isn't it?).
The are many possible reasons. The most probable is that you run into
a cfl-problem (velocity*timestep/gridsize > 1), because
1. your time step is too small
2. your initialization is so instable or has strong horizontal
gradients that you immediately have strong vertical/horizontal
velocities so that 1. your time step is too small.
You can monitor the cfl numbers in the monitor output (advcfl_uvel,
advcfl_vvel, advcfl_wvel, etc).

Martin