[MITgcm-support] Sea Ice experiment s12t_16x32

Lucas Merckelbach lmm at noc.soton.ac.uk
Wed Aug 16 05:01:03 EDT 2006

Hi Amitabh Mitra,

> I would like to thank Mr. Ed Hill
> for this command
> export SKIP_NETCDF_CHECK=t
> which helped me create the Makefile in gcc environment
[...]
> ... What does this command do and when is it used ?

Basically "export SKIP_NETCDF_CHECK=t" is short for
"SKIP_NETCDF_CHECK=t" followed by
"export SKIP_NETCDF_CHECK"

The first step assigns, as you may guess the value "t" to a variable
called SKIP_NETCDF_CHECK. This variable is used in the genmake2 script to
find out if it should try to compile a test program using netcdf. Probably
this was the point where your genmake2 to invocation failed. By setting
this variable to "t" the check is bypassed. However, if you set
SKIP_NETCDF_CHECK to "t" from the command line and then run genmake2, the
variable is not known inside the genmake2 script. Therefore, in bash that
is, you export the variable name, which means that all the shell scripts
spawn from the current shell will have this variable set. So setting the
variable, and then running the genmake2 script and the genmake2 script
will know the value of SKIP_NETCDF_CHECK.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Lucas