[MITgcm-support] [Fwd: RI for mitgcm]

Dimitris Menemenlis menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Aug 14 12:47:32 EDT 2006

Hi David, I am copying your e-mail to MITgcm support.  I suspect (but have not
checked) that the diagnostic you are referring to

  8 |RI | 15 |SM LL |non-dimensional |Richardson Number (non-dimensional)

is probably only available for the atmosphere and for atmospheric package.  Two
types of Richardson numbers, surface-bulk and gradient-shear, are computed by
pkg/kpp, but as far as I am aware and last I checked, they had not yet been
included in diagnostics output.  One option for you, if you are satisfied with
the KPP computation of Ri, would be to add these to available diagnostics list.
    See pkg/kpp/kpp_diagnostics_init.F, pkg/kpp/kpp_do_diags.F, and kpp_routines
for examples on how to do this.

Dimitris