[MITgcm-support] Re: non-MDSIO input files

Dmitri Leonov dleonov at u.washington.edu
Sat Aug 12 15:09:22 EDT 2006

Hi Ed,

I'm trying to run the model on a hand-made orthogonal curvilinear grid
with rectangular topology. The grid is already generated. All I need is
to make the model read the grid quantities correctly. As I understand I
don't need exch2.

I've tried both approaches from your script without luck so far: there
are errors in both cases.
I'm assuming npx and npy in your script correspond to Nx+1 and Ny+1. Is
that right?

I generated the 16 grid quantities in matlab with size (npx,npy) and ran
the portion of the script that saves them in the 2 formats.
The netcdf file looks right (except the dimensions are transposed with
respect to the ones in mnc output). But when I turn the readgrid_mnc
option on I get a NetCDF error about index being out of bounds.

To use READSYMTILE_RS I had to modify ini_curvilinear_grid.F commenting
out the following 3 lines:
#ifdef ALLOW_MDSIO
#define OLD_GRID_IO
#endif

When I did that and ran the model it complained about unexpected end of
file.
Am I missing something?

I'm attaching my experiment so it can be reproduced (for testing
purposes Nx=8, Ny=40, Nr=10).

I would appreciate your feedback.

Dmitri.