[MITgcm-support] noise in high resolution run

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Wed Apr 5 10:23:44 EDT 2006

Hi Nicolas,

I am sorry that I was not precise. I set
viscAh=diffKhT=diffKhS=0. (no harmonic friction)
and
viscA4=diffK4T=diffK4S=1.e12. (bi-harmonic friction, the lowest value
I could afford with  time step of 600s was is actually 7.e11, but I
assume that without open boundaries one could go much lower). The
corresponding parameter to SI is then proportional to (A4.dt)/(dx^4)
=0.005 for dx=1/6 degree = 6371e3*pi/180/6m, so everything is fine
here. If you have an isotropic grid, that is you dx=dy locally (dy is
scaled with cos(lat) on a spherical grid), you have to define
ISOTROPIC_COS_SCALING (in CPP_OPTIONS.h!!!!) so that (A4.dt)/(dx^4)
is (nearly) constant over your domain. And this was exactly my
problem, I used both ISOTROPIC_COS_SCALING _and_ COSINEMETH_III,
which does not work together. Soon I will fix this COSINEMETH_III issue.

If you want to use harmonic friction, you still should use
ISOTROPIC_COS_SCALING, COSINEMETH_III does not apply here.

In your plots I see boundary layer problems although your viscAh
leads to a Munk layer of approximately 2deg and your grid is fine
enough; weird. What about your diffusion parameters diffKhT/S?. Try
bi-harmonic friction which is more scale selective.

good luck,

Martin