[MITgcm-support] restart from netcdf pickup files

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Sep 23 16:55:44 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 16:16 -0400, Nicolas Wienders wrote:
> Hello Hello,
>
> I have in a directory a netcdf pickup  which i want to restart from.
> It is :
>
>   pickup.0002880000.0000.000001.nc
>
> Thus, in my data file, i indicate:
>   nIter0=2880000.,
>
> But when i restart mitgcm it looks for the file:
> MNC ERROR: MNC_CW_RL_R: cannot open file 'mnc_run6/pickup.
> 0028800000.000001.nc' in read-only mode
> Which of course is missing.
>
> There is a problem of an order of magnitude each time.
>
> If i would right
> nIter0=288000., in the data file it would work
> even though it is incorrect.
>
> Am i doing something wrong?
>
> Thanks and good week-end to all

Hi Nicolas,

I don't know where the extra "0" is coming from.  Thats odd.

But I can verify that the sequence number ".0000." should be deleted
when one uses the pickups -- and with the slightly older version of our
code that you're using.  In more current versions of MNC, the files
names have been cleaned up quite a bit (sequence numbers have been
removed) and re-names are therefore less likely to be necessary.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307