[MITgcm-support] manuals about sea ice package

Jinlun Zhang zhang at apl.washington.edu
Wed Oct 19 20:16:57 EDT 2005

Dimitris Menemenlis wrote:

>>The multi-category ice models are widely used now and seem to be more
>>advantageous, and why did not you use such kind of ice models?
>>

>Initially the idea was to have simple ice model to help speed up adjoint
>model development.
>

>>Is there the possibility to couple MITgcm with another multi-category
>>ice model(such as CICE)?
>>

>Yes of course but it has not been done yet.
>
>Dimitris

Hi Liuyu,
Multi-category ice models generally simulate ridging processes
explicitly and therefore are easy to blow up (thickness out of control)
when used for high resolution simulation, if too much deformation is
created. But the LSR ice dynamics model in mitgcm provides a foundation
for high-res. simulation of ridging. I have been working on
multicategory thickness and enthalpy distribution (TED) models, which
can survive in simulating ridging with model resolution as fine as 3km,
using the ice dynamics model. So it is possible to implement a ridging
model (CICE or TED) in the future. For adjoint development, the existing
ice model is particularly useful. It is relatively simple, but it is a
fully dynamic thermodynamic model that can realistically simulate ice
conditions in most cases.
Jinlun