[MITgcm-support] Fundamental questions

nkimura at cae.wisc.edu nkimura at cae.wisc.edu
Tue Oct 18 20:47:02 EDT 2005

   Dear MITgcm users,
   I am a MITgcm beginner. I would apprecaite it if professional users give me
some suggestions about the following simple quations.
   Thank you,
   Nobuaki

   0. Professional ways to organize files --> Could you teach me how to organize
files when some example cases are run? At least, files in some directories such
as "bin", "model", and "exe" will be over-written whenever a new case is
carried out. So far, I am going to make bin_exp0, bin_exp1, etc... Probably, I
think there are more efficient ways.

   1. Wind stress --> Can some files be read one by one? When real time
simulations run with time-dependent wind stress (e.g., hourly data sets), how
can wind stress files be read? That is, does MITgcm have some funtion to read
multi-files?

   2. Density computation --> Which example does include computation of the
density (i.e., transport equations of temperature and salinity are used) ?

   3. Verical coordinate  --> Can sigma coordinate on the vertical layer be
used?