[MITgcm-support] Re: Several questions to run MITgcm

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Oct 6 16:18:34 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 12:49 -0500, nkimura at cae.wisc.edu wrote:

>   I have been trying to read & understand the users manual. However, I am
> recognizing that I should spend more plenty of time until I completely
> understand what MITgcm is. Therefore, I would like to know just how to use
> MITgcm for my application case.
>   Is there an example for a lake circulation? Or does similar examples exist in
> your examples? I think that its boundary condition seems to be easy to be set
> up. Additionally, if you have the example, I would like to have its data set
> (input and output) and its program, and who did it.
>   I am sorry to ask you about the rush way to learn how to use MITgcm although I
> should carefully read your manual.
>   Anyhow, I would appreciate your helps.
>
>   Nobuaki,
>   Ph.D student, CEE, UW-Madison.

Hi Nobuaki,

I'm forwarding this email to the MITgcm-support list since others can
probably do a better job of answering your questions.

I'm sure that you can use MITgcm to simulate flow within lakes.  And the
"skill" of the model will to a great extent depend upon your ability to
craft an appropriate setup.  Two quick things that you'll probably want
to consider are:

  - By default, boundaries in an MITgcm domain are "re-entrant"
    (periodic) so you'll have to use bathymetry to close them.

  - choose an EOS (equation of state) appropriate for freshwater
    rather than salt water

and I'm sure there are plenty of others!

Perhaps someone else here has simulated lakes and can help you?

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307