[MITgcm-support] SSH drift and obcs again

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Wed Nov 9 04:18:43 EST 2005

Hi Tom,
I don't know if we are talking about the same thing. This is what I
tried:
I used your gendata.m, that was attached to your previous email.
data.obcs looks like this:
# Open-boundaries
  &OBCS_PARM01
  OB_Jnorth=80*-1,
  OB_Jsouth=80*1,
  OB_Ieast=42*-1,
  OB_Iwest=42*1,
#useOrlanskiNorth=.TRUE.,
#useOrlanskiSouth=.TRUE.,
#useOrlanskiEast=.TRUE.,
#useOrlanskiWest=.FALSE.,
  useOBCSprescribe = .TRUE.,
  OBNuFile = 'OBmeridU.bin',
  OBSuFile = 'OBmeridU.bin',
  OBWuFile = 'OBzonalU.bin',
  OBEuFile = 'OBzonalU.bin',
  OBNvFile = 'OBmeridV.bin',
  OBSvFile = 'OBmeridV.bin',
  OBWvFile = 'OBzonalV.bin',
  OBEvFile = 'OBzonalV.bin',
  OBWsFile = 'OBzonalS.bin',
  OBWptrFile(1) = 'OBzonalS.bin',
  &

# Orlanski parameters
  &OBCS_PARM02
#Cmax=0.45,
#cVelTimeScale=1000.,
  &

I have no drift at all, everything look OK. The solution looks
different from having no v-compontent at the boundaries, as it should.
Next, I changed one input file to:
OBNvFile = 'OBmeridU.bin',
So that now my meridional velocities are not longer balanced (boundary
values are u=25cm/s and v=35cm/s in your gendata.m) and there should be
a divergence of flow. In 10 time steps I get a drift of nearly 13m in
Eta.

Just to make sure I reverted back to the above data.obcs and I
commented the following lines:
  OBEuFile = 'OBzonalU.bin',
  OBNvFile = 'OBmeridV.bin',
so that there is no normal outflow at the north and the east, and in 10
time steps Eta drifts by 60m.

To me, everything looks OK.
Martin

PS. I couldn't find a bessel function bump in gendata.m, just the
default gaussian bump. Maybe you didn't attach the correct file?