[MITgcm-support] SSH drift and obcs again

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Tue Nov 8 11:02:01 EST 2005

Hi Tom,

I'm glad that exp4 has no significant drift in Eta, it shouldn't
because the specified flow is exactly balanced (25cm/s zonal velocity
everywhere). At least this part of the code works.

I ran the experiment for 10 timesteps, and yes, at the beginning
min/max Eta is +/-4.87m, but at timestep 5 this has already reduced to
0.5m. The initital shock of suddenly having u=25cm/s at the boundary is
probably a bit much. You could probably get rid of that by specifying a
better initial flow field (better than zero) with uVelInitFile or
whatever it is called.
I added a meridional component by:
  OBNuFile = 'OBmeridU.bin',
  OBSuFile = 'OBmeridU.bin',
  OBWuFile = 'OBzonalU.bin',
  OBEuFile = 'OBzonalU.bin',
in data.obcs (so same velocities, so that now the flow is diagonal
through the domain), and the solution changes accordingly (Eta is
different by +/-50cm).

to me, everything looks OK. Alistair suggests to include topography,
but there is already a Gaussian bump in the domain. Maybe Alistair
means topography along the open boudnaries?

Martin