[MITgcm-support] 2deg global experiment: advection schemes

Samar Khatiwala spk at ldeo.columbia.edu
Mon Nov 7 11:01:10 EST 2005

Hi Martin

You may want to reread the threads I started on advection schemes
(some time
in Sept 2004 and again in April 2005 I think). JMC had some useful
recommendations
to make, notably the use of staggerTimeStep when using a forward-in-
time method
(like the DSTXX schemes). The reason has to do with stability due to
internal waves.
In a more idealized setting, I too got dramatically different
circulations (more so than
yours) with different advection schemes.

To quote a well known expert on the MITgcm:

"Samar,
beats me, but the different advection schemes can be dramatically
different in their result (have a look at the documentation http://
mitgcm.org/sealion/online_documents/node80.html ).
Martin"

Samar