[MITgcm-support] KPP diffusivities

Dimitris Menemenlis menemenlis at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 2 12:55:31 EST 2005

Hi Stefano,

> The diffusivity maxima observed at the bottom disappeared! I still
> have some other questions about the relation between surface sw
> fluxes and bottom shear instabilities,

just a guess, but what may be happening is that bottom of your water
column has neutral stratification so that smallest perturbation to
velocity would cause gradient Richardson number to blow up.  If you were
to spin-up the model a little bit or if you gave it a stable
stratification to start with, there would be no shear instability mixing.

Dimitris

--
Dimitris Menemenlis <menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov>
Jet Propulsion Lab, California Institute of Technology