[MITgcm-support] Re: Problems with MITgcm server

Patrick Heimbach heimbach at MIT.EDU
Mon May 23 11:40:36 EDT 2005

Ed,

I am actually experiencing similar problems
when trying to CVS from GFDL
(over the last few weeks; it used to work fine before):
> cvs -n update
ssh: connect to address 128.31.2.31 port 22: Connection timed out
cvs [update aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)

When cvs-ing locally at mit.edu things work fine for me too.

-Patrick

On Monday 23 May 2005 11:27, Ed Hill wrote:
  > On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 16:13 +0200, Stefano Querin wrote:
  > > Hi,
  > > I'm encountering some problems with the MITgcm server both in
  > > downloading the code with cvs and in using the MITgcm search engine.
  > > When I connect to the cvs server the connection fails (connection time
  > > out). When I use the search engine I get a "500 Internal Server Error"
  > > warning.
  > > Is there any problems with the server or am I doing something wrong?
  > > Should I submit this e-mail to the mitgcm.support list?
  > > Thank you very much.
  >
  > Hi Stefano,
  >
  > Thank you for writing.  And I'm forwarding this to the support list
  > since others have asked similar questions.
  >
  > Our web site, particularly some parts of the documentation and the
  > htdig-based search tool, are a bit out-of-date and need fixing.  Its on
  > our "to-do" list for this summer so we'll be working on it soon.  In the
  > mean time, please do the following:
  >
  >  1) Please use Google or Yahoo or another engine to search our
  >     web site.  The search syntax you'll want to use is:
  >
  >       site:mitgcm.org YOUR_SEARCH_TERMS
  >

  >  2) CVS pserver is working correctly for me.  I just tested
  >     it (with pserver, ext, and the web-interface) and its fine.
  >     Please send the exact CVS error messages that you're seeing
  >     and I'll help you figure out whats wrong.
  >
  >     And, as a quick fix, you can always get the latest snapshot
  >     of the code and some recent checkpoints as tar files at:
  >
  >       http://mitgcm.org/download/
  >       http://mitgcm.org/download/daily_snapshot/
  >
  > Ed

Patrick Heimbach     Massachusetts Institute of Technology
FON: +1/617/253-5259                    EAPS, Room 54-1518
FAX: +1/617/253-4464               77 Massachusetts Avenue
mailto:heimbach at mit.edu                 Cambridge MA 02139
http://www.mit.edu/~heimbach/                          USA