[MITgcm-support] Re: single layer run

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Fri May 13 03:21:58 EDT 2005

Sergey,

if you apply pressure forcing that evolves in time, then your flow
field should also vary in time. Even if your pressure forcing is
constant in time (and variable in space), you should reach a
non-trivial steady state (inverted barometer effect), that should have
something like the following balance:
f*v + g*d(ssh)/dx + (1/rho0)*dp/dx = 0 (and something similar for the
v-momentum equation, with p=atmospheric pressure), note that the ssh
can (and probably will) be zero in this case.
There is  a verification experiment that does this with 4 layers
(inverted_barometer) and constant (in time) forcing. Maybe you can
modify this experiment, or try to see what's different in your case?

What do you mean by initial sea-surface height? Do you prescribe an
initial SSH?

Martin