[MITgcm-support] Package global_ocean.cs32x15

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu May 5 22:50:45 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 19:13 -0230, Entcho Demirov wrote:

> I am trying to use global_ocean.cs32x15 on a higher resolution
> grid. After the generation of topology and grid, I need to
> define the input field on the curvilinear grid. Are there any
> matlab scripts in the code, to generate files with topography,
> initial fields and forcing having the information from the
> grid generation?

Hi Entcho,

There are many different ways to interpolate or "re-grid" data.
Depending upon what you want to accomplish, some methods will almost
certainly be better suited than others.  And complications (coastlines,
missing data, smoothness criteria, etc.) mean that some manual
intervention is often required.

In any case, a number of MITgcm users have written programs (mostly,
custom MatLAB scripts) to perform re-gridding using various methods.
We're just starting to collect these programs and clean-up/document them
for others to use.  As time permits, they'll appear in our CVS
repository:

  MITgcm/utils/cs_grid
    http://mitgcm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/MITgcm/utils/cs_grid/

Other projects have tackled the re-gridding problem and software is
available (please see below).  Its a long-ish list but perhaps one or
more of them will be helpful.

Ed

===  re-gridding / projection / interpolation links  ===

 SCRIP:
   http://climate.lanl.gov/Software/SCRIP/index.htm

 ESMF:
   http://www.esmf.ucar.edu/