[MITgcm-support] Re: specification of surface elevation

Petter Stenström petters at kth.se
Wed Mar 30 02:51:28 EST 2005

Hi Amy,

the effect of specifying a barotropic flow over the boundary should be
exactly the same as specifying a sea level, shouldn't it? I've been
specifying an incoming tidal wave in estuary experiments through the
condition:

u_b(t) - c*eta/D = u_b0*sin(2*pi*t/T)

where u_b(t) is the time dependent mean velocity over the boundary, eta is
the sea level and u_b0 is the amplitude of the tidal wave. Whether you
specify the velocity or the sea level doesn't matter with this condition,
but the sea level was much more difficult to specify when I tried it.

However, if you prefer to specify the sea level it seems that it is
possible in the later versions of obcs_calc.F. I haven't tried that yet.

Petter