[MITgcm-support] [Fwd: Auto-discard notification]

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Mar 10 14:35:16 EST 2005

Hi Marco,

Welcome to the MITgcm-support list!

I've subscribed your "@yahoo.it" email address to this list so that any
further emails you send from there will get through.  And I've forwarded
your message below.

In regards to the model diagnostics, we've been working on these
quantities recently and the documentation has not kept pace with the
code development.  The quantities you want are available within the
diagnostics package and they are:

  RHOAnoma :: 'Density Anomaly (=Rho-rhoConst)'
  WRHOMASS :: 'Vertical Transport of Potential Density'
  WVELMASS :: 'Vertical Mass-Weighted Comp of Velocity (m/s)'

from which you can compute:

  \bar{w'\rho'} = \bar{w\rho} - \bar{w}\bar{\rho}

by averaging all the diagnostics output over the model run time.

The diagnostics are turned on using a "data.diagnostics" namelist file
such as the one in "MITgcm/ideal_2D_oce/input/data.diagnostics".

And I have some MatLAB scripts and C++ code that will compute these
averages from the diagnostics output if you'd like to use them.

Ed