[MITgcm-support] Fwd: Re: phiHydLow

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Mon Mar 7 04:41:55 EST 2005

Sergey, Dimitris,
  phiHydLow is not the but *some* bottom pressure anomaly, scaled with a
constant rho (rhoconst=999.8 by default, but that can be set in data,
look up "your" value in the standard out, it's written to standard out
by config_summary). To get the full bottom pressure, you'll have to add
the the constant contribution of gravity*rhoConst*depth. If you choose
a "clever" rhoConst in your data file then you can, in principle, get a
zero mean.
The reason for all this is, as far as I remember:
the z-p ismorphism. The same variable, that is pressure (minus
g*rhoConst*z) in z-coordinates (phiHyd) is geopotential height in
pressure coordinates, so phiHyd is the "general" variable and for
consistency, phiHydLow, which is the phiHyd at the k_bottom+1th
interface is also computed in this way (it is gravity*sea surface
height in pressure coordinates for the ocean). the part of
gravity*rhoConst*z is substracted for numerical reasons (?): you
substract a constant of order 1e4*z in order to increase relative
precision.

for z-coordinates:  both sea surface height and (atmospheric) surface
pressure are included in phyHydLow. So, in order to get real bottom
pressure anomaly you have to
1. substract the horizontal mean (there is a subroutine REMOVE_MEAN_RL,
currently commented our, that does this "online":  it's called from
dynamics.F at the very end before #ifdef ALLOW_DIAGNOSTICS. You'll find
a copy of the routine in
verication/global_ocean_pressure/code/remove_mean_rl.F, put it in your
"code" directory and comment in the call in dynamics.F, but your can do
this "offline" as well)
2. scale by rhoConst

Hope that helps,

Martin