[MITgcm-support] Parallel performance

Dimitris Menemenlis menemenlis at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 16 09:48:25 EDT 2005

Stefano and Kevin, "if" nfs I/O is the issue try "useSingleCpuIO=.TRUE."
and make sure that you start the model from an I/O node, i.e., a node
that is connected directly to a disk.  This will read and write
everything from the root CPU.  For the platforms that I am familiar
with, i.e., SGI Origin and Altix, usesinglecpuio is faster than reading
and writing to different files from each CPU and the globalfiles option
either does not work (has drop outs) or is excrutiatingly slow.  On a
platform with a truly distributed I/O set-up, I expect
"useSingleCpuIO=.TRUE." to be slightly slower than reading and writing
to separate files from each processor, but only slightly so and it is
infinitely more convenient as it avoids the step of copying input files
to all the disks and of joining the output from multiple files
afterwards.  Dimitris

--
Dimitris Menemenlis <menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov>
Jet Propulsion Lab, California Institute of Technology